Cilantro Lime Chicken Taco Salad
Recipe adapted from carlsbadcravings.com
Ingredients – Marinade & Chicken:
1 cup Fresh cilantro leaves & stems
4 cloves Garlic
3 Tablespoons Lime juice
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Chili powder, ground cumin, onion powder
½ teaspoon Smoked paprika, salt, pepper, sugar
¼ teaspoon Cayenne pepper (optional)
1 pound Boneless chicken breasts (or 1 block of extra firm tofu)
Ingredients – Salad:
1 large head Romaine lettuce, chopped
1 cup Cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
1 can Black beans, drained & rinsed
1 can or 1.5 cups Corn, drained & rinsed (fresh, frozen, or canned)
½ cup Sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 Avocados, chopped
1-2 cups Tortilla chips, slightly crushed
Ingredients – Dressing:
¼ cup Ketchup
¼ cup Red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons Sugar
¼ cup Mayonnaise
¼ cup Sour cream
1 tablespoon Reserved cilantro lime marinade
Directions – Marinade:
1. Add all marinade ingredients to food processor. Pulse until finely chopped, scraping down sides several times. Remove & reserve 2 tablespoons for basting.
2. Place marinade in a shallow dish or large freezer bag. Add chicken (or drained & diced tofu) and turn to coat. Marinate in refrigerator for 2-10 hours.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, drain chicken from marinade, and add to skillet.
4. Cook undisturbed for 3-4 minutes. Turn chicken over, cover, and reduce to medium heat. Cook for 4-6 more minutes or until chicken is fully cooked (internal temp of at least 165 degrees F.
5. Remove chicken to cutting board and baste with reserved marinade.
Directions – Dressing:
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients. Store in the refrigerator. Best if chilled at least 30
minutes before serving. May keep in airtight container up to 7 days.
NOTES: For more of a vinaigrette style dressing, you may substitute canola oil in place of the mayo and sour cream.
Directions – Salad:
1. Slice or chop cooked chicken (or tofu).
2. In a large bowl, add all of the salad ingredients and toss to combine.
3. Add chicken (or tofu).
4. Serve and drizzle individual servings with desired amount of dressing.
NOTES: Instead of making this into a salad, you could add the salad ingredients, chicken (or tofu), and dressing in hard taco shells or in tortillas and eat as tacos.